Access functions - click here

      Don't forget to check out
The International
Triumph GT6 Database

      A short Bio on the entries


Jeff Clermont

      This is my spit6 which is based on a 1977 spitfire 1500.  I purchased the car this way from Ron Small in Littleton, NH in June of 2000.  At the time I did not know what a spit6 or a gt6c was, nor did I foresee the seasonal rebuild of at least one major part of the car. All I saw was a cool British sports car and bought an amazing automobile. 

jeffclemontcgt6.jpg (10791 bytes)

     The engine is an early model gt6 while the transmission is a late model.  I'm not sure what differential is in the car but I do know that the brakes are from a gt6 and the exhaust is some Mikey Mouse arrangement.  The body has absolutely no rust or rot anywhere!! Not everything on the car was perfect but with time I do plan to slowly restore the vehicle.  

   I use the car in the summer to commute to my house on Lake Winnipesaukee,  four days a week 100 miles round trip.  The car usually gets me through the spring and summer without any problems, then by September it usually needs some sort of necessary repair.  It may sound silly or strange but I actually look forward to spending some time in my garage with my spit6.

    When time permits I will send other photos, (this time I will omit the rather large piles of snow)  good luck with your website and happy motoring.

Jeff Clermont
Lincoln, NH


Ben Bacon

Hi Paul,

    Here is a resent photo of my Spit6 (the one with the bump on the hood).  The photo was taken at a Nebraska State park outside Omaha back in August. Drove up there for a weekend (about 600 miles round trip). I had just finished repainting my spitfire just a few weeks prior to this photo.  I've had my spitfire a bit over two years and am just about complete with a rolling restoration for my daily driver. 

benbacon.jpg (12502 bytes)
      I've replaced every bushing and bearing on the car.  I had originally installed a 69 gt6 engine in the car a year ago, after replacing the bottom end. 

     After 15K miles the oil consumption was quite high (1 quart per 150 miles).  some of the oil was leaking from the front so only part was going through the engine.  The current 2.0 liter engine was rebuilt over this last winter.  The engine and tranny looked like a piece of junk on the outside.

    But, It turns out that the 72 GT6 donor car (a rust bucket) only had 28K miles on it. It looked like the donor GT6 had spent the last 20 years outside in Ohio somewhere. The car was too far gone for me to restore but I gave the rolling chassis to another spitfire list member.  Both the tranny and rear end are original and all I've done was install a new speedo gear on the tranny output shaft. The engine had seized after being stored so long.  After soaking for a few weeks with liquid wench, I was able to free the engine up.  I did a complete disassemble on the engine and head and was surprised to find everything well within tolerance. (That's when I realized that the speedo had 28K miles and not 128K miles on it)   I ending up installing new rings, bearing and seals (just because I was there), lapped the valves, and reassembled it.  The new engine has about 9-10k miles on it since it was installed back in March.  It is one of those rare triumph engines that does not leak oil.

    I fabricated a hood bump from a left and right rear valance patch panels that I had lying around.  The donor car did not come with a hood, the PO said that it had rusted to pieces.

    I put about 20K miles a year on my spitfire.  It's a blast to drive and parts are cheap enough that I can afford to repair/replace parts when I need to.

Ben Bacon
79 Spit6 (Daily Driver)
Paola, Kansas




Fred Marks

Hey Paul-

    I've been in the half-assed process of setting up a
webpage on this project, but have not had the time and
or sufficient motivation to do so, unfortunately!

    I can send you some digi-pics and a story so far, if you'd like.   Since I came down with a serious case of Mafunzalo, the car is not coming together as quickly as desired, but slow progress is better than no progress, and it :is: starting to look like a vehicle of sorts again.


    Right now the frame is completely restored, sandblasted, epoxy primed and painted a bright Mimosa yellow. 

   The diff is back in it's proper spot, as are the front suspension arms riding on new poly bushes.  The vertical links are on, and I need no get some fresh bearings and seals prior to mounting the hubs with their brand newe rotors. 

   The steering rack is restored,  painted in Hammerite black and fixed to the frame by a set of solid  aluminum racing mounts, instead of the conventional bushings. Front shocks are ordered, new KYBs.  New, uprated GT6 coil springs going up front too.

Lemme know what else you need!



The Binny's  :-)